Skip to main content

Answers to some Car Questions

I get asked tons of questions about cars regularly. I love that people see me as a knowledgeable source and I love to talk cars. It is like a sports fanatic I guess. They memorize stats, game results, player info and history. With cars it is about the same. We gear heads read a great deal and learn about the latest in the auto industry, memorize all kinds of stats and vital info.

My sons say I an a walking talking car magazine. I guess if you love something and have done it since you were a child it comes naturally. So with that said here are some answers to some car questions I got recently.

New Cars

1. what is the best small SUV that does not cost a fortune?
Well the good news is there are several. My clear favorite right now is the new Ford Escape. The Escape is a small SUV and less expensive than some of the imports. The styling is a personal preference as it is edgy but the itnerior is solid and well appointed. I would opt for the Eco Boost engine and the middle model. The Eco Boost is my favorite engine because it uses turbo technology with modern gas saving features but still deliver V6 type performance. You can get it with 2 or 4 wheel drive. It is capable of hauling a decent load with the rear seats down and it seats 4 adults comfortably (more if you are hauling kids). It has a ton of options so you can make it the way you want. I love the foot activated rear hatch opener - cool.

I also think the redesigned RAV 4 is a great small SUV. It has Toyota quality and the new look is attractive. It has a strong 4cylinder engine that gives great mileage. The fit and finish are high quality and built to last. Be careful with the options as it can get pricey.

2. What is the best truck on the market today?
My opinion is the FORD F150 Platinum with the Eco Boost Engine. I know Chevy just did a redesign on there truck and I appreciate that it is an improvement but I don't think they are quite up to the Ford standard yet. The interior is still too much plastic for me and there engines just are not as efficient at the Eco Boost. The V6 Eco Boost in the new F150 has all the power of a V8 but mileage that is close to 25mpg on the highway -in a full size truck. The Eco Boost can also tow as much as a V8 truck and will probably out perform it in most critical categories. The Platinum level finish is excellent and has all the creature comforts you could ever want - it is like a luxury car. If the price tag is too high choose a XLT or lower model. 2 or 4 wheel drive is also a choice that will impact price significantly.

3. What is the best Luxury SUV?
This is really tough because this market segment is full of great players. So let me tell you which ones I would not buy. I would not get a BMW X5 - it is cheaply appointed, very expensive and hard to operate. they also have maintenance problems and while they come with a no cost warranty it just not worth it. The big Lexus 450 is another I would exclude. It is a great car and is well built with excellent features and maintenance history. I just hate the boxy look and for the price you can do better. The Infiniti Q56 SUV is a great big SUV - and I mean big. It is ugly but it is beautifully appointed, has a very powerful V8 engine and rides wonderfully. Sadly it is a gas hog. I like the Acura MDX and new redesign is excellent. fit and finish are great, V6 gives good gas mileage and there is quite a bit of room. Sadly I just don't think it is at the level of the Range Rover or the Benz but then again is is a lot less expensive.

So that leads me to my two favorites in this category. The Mercedes Benz and the Range Rover. Both offer several choices with different price points. Lets start with the Benz. The ML series is great. I like the 450 myself because of its powerful V8 but the 350 is a very adequate alternative with better mpg. The options are endless and customization is easy. If you have cash to burn look at the AMG version. It is a hot rod and really is finished superbly.

The Range Rover is again a top notch option and my first choice. The full size Range has just been redesigned and what a triumph this has been. This large SUV has been put on a serious diet thanks to the use of aluminum and smart technology. They claim to have cut 700lbs out of the SUV over last years model. This is huge because the car feels more manageable and the gas mileage has improved. The interior is magnificent and so well built. Add that this has always been the best off road vehicle in this category and now they have made it even better. It comes in either a supercharged or regular version. The charger adds tons of horsepower and torque making it fast but not fuel pump friendly.

The baby brother to this range rover is the Sport. A slightly smaller SUV but still full size (about the same size as the Benz ML). This beast is again finished beautifully with high British craftsmanship. It is so solid and really drives more like a car than an SUV. As with its big brother you have the choice of a normally aspirated or supercharged engine. I love he look of this car, sleek design, fat tires, and great visibility all around. The new interior is plush but firm and classy. I can personally attest to it's ability to go literally anywhere - it is a mountain goat.

Well that enough highly biased advice for now but look for more in the coming days. Till then keep the rubber on the road.

Popular posts from this blog

Porsche Perspective

Before I start I must declare that I am a Ferrari owner, racer and lover. As such Porsche is normally an arch enemy. Most of the faithful from each camp very rarely see eye to eye and often avoid each other like the plague. So for me to write this piece on Porsche is a stretch and proves once and for all, above all I am just a true lover of all cars! Porsche has to be respected for their longevity, their racing prowess and their myopic market focus. Porsche's have been racing and winning for as long as I can remember and while they are not a Ferrari their racing pedigree is remarkable. Initially their claim to fame was the basic 911. This is still their bread and butter car and over the decades has been improved markedly. But I am not going to focus on the 911, the Panamera or Cayenne. Today I want to discuss the smaller, younger cousins - the Cayman and the Boxster. These two "entry level" Porsches are worth writing about. Porsche first made the Boxster in 1997 in an

New Cars - Choosing the Best

Well it appears that my blogs about cars are as popular as my ramblings about the economy and politics. Who knew? Today I want to focus on New Cars but specifically on Audi. For those that are old like me you remember that Audi had some issues in the mid 1980's with "unintended acceleration". While they were producing fine cars with fair value they were no where near the power and strength of either BMW or Benz. However prior to 1986 they were trucking along pretty well and gaining some market share. I was one of their buyers, taking home a brand new 5000S. This was a nice 4 door sedan with Quattro (all wheel drive) and a unique 5 cylinder engine. It was by no means fast but it was solid and spacious. I liked its look and my wife liked the space for two young kids plus the safety features. It was priced below the other two big German luxury car makers and so we had our first Audi. Then the big scare came with the "unintended acceleration" scandal. This sin

Welcome to Ambushing Reality

After nearly 11 months of writing this blog I have been "prodded/convinced" to start a podcast. Below is the Welcome and introduction. I will upload the first few episodes shortly. Please tell your friends and let me know what you think. Welcome to Ambushing Reality