Skip to main content

Something New - Cars

As I was pondering this blog, I had a small epiphany. I have written consistently about politics, policy and our national economy for the past nearly 12 months. While I hope I have written some informative and thought provoking pieces, I recognized that I have never written about a subject I am very well qualified to opine on - Automobiles. How could I have missed this?

I am a certified race car driving instructor, an avid racer, a huge gear head and a lifetime lover of the automobile and all things related. I read more about cars than anything else in my life and some say I am a walking encyclopedia on all things automotive. I have had a plethora of cars and driven twice as many. I have raced dirt bikes, street bikes, boats, karts, dune buggies, cars, even a Caterpillar or two.

So I thought to myself why not share some of this knowledge and divert from the tiresome drone of economics and politics. Automobiles are so much more interesting and fun. So here we go:

Automotive Hypocrites

I thought I should start with a bang - something that would get everyone worked up. So I will start with alternative propulsion cars. Better known as Hybrids perhaps. Now I recognize we are at a pivotal transition point in automotive history and as with all evolution there is pain with change. I know that we have to develop and implement different propulsion systems for autos as we have limited supplies of petroleum and we are polluting the atmosphere with exhaust. I get all that but I guess I just am not sure how we are going about it.

It appears that the tree huggers have gulited us into developing and selling hybrid cars. The truth is we have been developing the technology for alternate propulsion in racing for sometime. Racing for those that don't know it is the birthplace of all significant innovation in the automotive industry and has been for nearly a century.

Having cars with hybrid systems is fine. Having a smaller gas engine that supports an electric motor (s) is an acceptable way to increase mileage and decrease carbon footprint. The technology is improving and while I would not yet own one myself I admit it is getting better. here is my problem with the process:

Hypocrites are my problem. So many folks who buy these hybrids or electric cars are doing so to appear Eco friendly. Most are just trying to rub their opinions in our face. I accept that a small minority are really doing it because they believe in the Eco status and want to support the development of better transport globally. It angers me when I see movie stars pulling up to award shows in a Prius. They want the press to see them as Eco supporters and cool but the truth is 90% of the time off camera they drive Bentley's or are chauffeured in a gas guzzling limo. Hypocrites!

Hybrid Technology and Performance

I also have an issue with the actual technology. While the combo of combustion and electric is fairly solid it is expensive and frankly is a band aid on the real problem. We need to spend our time and resources on a new fuel. Let me be specific.

Hybrid cars use batteries to store the electric energy developed by the gas engine. These batteries are heavy, expensive and not very efficient. If you own a Prius you probably know by now that within 7 to 10 years you will have to replace the batteries in the car setting you back at least $10,000. Most owners will not do this but will trade the cars in before the batteries die. Sadly once the batteries are done they pose another Eco problem - disposal. They are highly toxic, hard to dispose and there is a big expense. Add to this that these Eco friendly cars are expensive. A full electric Nissan Leaf is over $30,000. It can only go about 75 miles per charge and is smaller than a Mini. In short a ridiculous auto investment. The only company that appears to be doing anything exciting with an all electric car is start up Tesla. They have developed a car that is fast, efficient, great looking and will go about 200 miles per charge. The only problems with it are the company is financially shaky and the care costs $120,000.

In the hybrid class we have many exciting cars but again they all have this battery issue. If we are to believe this is only a step toward a completely new fuel source then I am reluctantly on board. But if this is truly just a delay and money making tactic by the industry then I am not a fan. Sadly the truth will probably never be known. Here is what we do know. the amount of new hybrids being produced is growing rapidly. The profit margins on these cars is significantly higher than the traditional gas auto and their fuel efficiency is just marginally better than some of the new gas cars.

Porsche for example has been testing and racing a hybrid to learn how to keep them sporty and yet hop on the Eco bandwagon. Enter their hybrid racing GT3 car that just won its class last weekend at the 24 hours of Daytona. We should note however, it had no competition in its class (the Mazda diesels all broke down and there were no other hybrids running). Will Porsche faithful buy this car? You bet they will and pay a heavy markup too. So Porsche being a VW company now have decided to launch a new super car - the 918. This expensive super care will have several electric motors, batteries and a core V8 gas engine. All combined it will be lethally fast, very expensive, exclusive and sexy as can be. In time the lessons learned on the track and with these super cars will trickle down to more plebeian Porches. Not to be left out McLarena nd Ferrari will both unveil their top of the line supercars at the upcoming Geneva Auto Show. Both will utilize hybrid technology among other things. Both will generate over 900 bhp and will be examples of the best the automotive industry can offer in a road going car.

So what are the alternatives to these interim hybrids? The good news is that most car makers have developed very fuel efficient new engines (primarily stolen from their Non US markets) and they are now becoming available in US models. I think the best of the bunch today is the Ford EcoBoost engine. It is a very versitile turbo charged 4 cylinder that can produce over 30mpg easily. I like it because despite its abilitty to sip gas it can actually generate quite a bit of horsepower and torque. Actually it is so good they now have it available in the Ford F 150 pick up and the performance is impressive.

Look for more auto blogs in the near future and please feel free to send your questions or comments about anything automotive. Till then keep the rubber on the road!

Popular posts from this blog

Porsche Perspective

Before I start I must declare that I am a Ferrari owner, racer and lover. As such Porsche is normally an arch enemy. Most of the faithful from each camp very rarely see eye to eye and often avoid each other like the plague. So for me to write this piece on Porsche is a stretch and proves once and for all, above all I am just a true lover of all cars! Porsche has to be respected for their longevity, their racing prowess and their myopic market focus. Porsche's have been racing and winning for as long as I can remember and while they are not a Ferrari their racing pedigree is remarkable. Initially their claim to fame was the basic 911. This is still their bread and butter car and over the decades has been improved markedly. But I am not going to focus on the 911, the Panamera or Cayenne. Today I want to discuss the smaller, younger cousins - the Cayman and the Boxster. These two "entry level" Porsches are worth writing about. Porsche first made the Boxster in 1997 in an

New Cars - Choosing the Best

Well it appears that my blogs about cars are as popular as my ramblings about the economy and politics. Who knew? Today I want to focus on New Cars but specifically on Audi. For those that are old like me you remember that Audi had some issues in the mid 1980's with "unintended acceleration". While they were producing fine cars with fair value they were no where near the power and strength of either BMW or Benz. However prior to 1986 they were trucking along pretty well and gaining some market share. I was one of their buyers, taking home a brand new 5000S. This was a nice 4 door sedan with Quattro (all wheel drive) and a unique 5 cylinder engine. It was by no means fast but it was solid and spacious. I liked its look and my wife liked the space for two young kids plus the safety features. It was priced below the other two big German luxury car makers and so we had our first Audi. Then the big scare came with the "unintended acceleration" scandal. This sin

Welcome to Ambushing Reality

After nearly 11 months of writing this blog I have been "prodded/convinced" to start a podcast. Below is the Welcome and introduction. I will upload the first few episodes shortly. Please tell your friends and let me know what you think. Welcome to Ambushing Reality