Skip to main content

Green Cars and Plastic Bags

This title is hard to say let alone accept but here we are. Earth Day is April 22 and I thought we should take a look at Green Cars. Perhaps it is better to say Greener Cars. As there are many one off and experimental autos out there that I will not address. I mean production cars that pro port to be "green".

I find the whole green thing to be very interesting and sometimes hilarious. For example 48 cities in California have banned plastic bags in grocery stores and more are joining daily. (all this in the last few months). I know plastic is very hard to dispose of and I understand the desire to limit its use. I guess my only question is what about recycling? I thought we paid large sanitation bills and segregated all our waste so that plastic could be recycled? In principal I have no issue with doing away with plastic bags in grocery stores but I get pissed when I hear that along with them paper is going too. Yes, LA's new law says after six months plastic is banned and after a year groceries must charge 10 cents each for paper bags. Are you kidding me? So how are we to carry our groceries home? Sure some of us more industrious "greeners" remember to bring their green shoulder bags with them every time they shop and then there is the rest of us who never remember and are too busy as we rush into the store on the way home from work!

How does this apply to cars? Well it appears that the earth safety folks have decided that making green alternatives more inconvenient and expensive is acceptable if not admirable. Thankfully the auto industry is trying to solve the problem. It is true however, that a Prius costs more than a Altima and you have to buy lots of special equipment for your new E vehicle so you can charge it. I think this is changing slowly. We should be enticed into doing new things. Since all of us are basically resistant to change we need to make it easy and less expensive.

Take the only real green car I think is worth a look - the Tesla. It is clearly beautiful, fast and very green. Mr. Musk's vision is great and his marketing plan solid. GO after rich, planet conscious environmentalists. And where do you find a ton of these folks - Northern California. So where is Tesla's largest dealer? You guessed it - Northern Cali. Charge them $125K to drive one of these beauties so they can show all their friends how cool and earth friendly they are. It seems to be working as I saw not less than 19 of them on a recent trip to the Bay Area. This is more than I have seen around the entire country in the past year.

So that is niche marketing for a small start up car company but what about going mainstream? Well the best example is the Prius. Clearly Toyota hit a vein in America and the world and this has been a big seller from them. Actually it is now the third best selling sedan in the world with 249,230 in the last quarter of 2012. So hybrid technology is now mainstream and desired. Personally I think there are better Hybrids out there but it is all a personal choice.

Then there are EV's (Electric Vehicles). While Tesla had made a good start there are still big challenges. Price, mileage and charging stations are the top three. Very few of us can afford a $125K Tesla and most of us need a range of over 200 miles. Besides that very few places in America are populated with charging stations. So for now they remain a novelty. But keep in mind that Federal regulations require a mileage standard of 54 mpg by 2025. Whether this will change or not no one knows but assuming it does not the industry has some work to do.

Surprisingly, I think the auto industry is making great head way. Most cars today offer average mpg around 25 and trucks and SUV's are getting there quickly. To achieve the 54 mpg target cars will have be a lot lighter and use smaller more efficient engines. We see this happening all over the industry. 4 cylinder cars are becoming popular again and finally the US is catching on. Turbos and supercharging are keeping performance acceptable if not outstanding. Weight saving materials are being used and developed daily. Everything from aluminum to carbon fiber to jeans. Yes, Jean materials is being used from sound deadening in several cars.

Hybrid and electric systems are improving and now the top super cars (see my blog Super cars) are using some forms of electric motors to enhance performance. Kenetic Energy Recovery (KERS) is being used and will continue to improve and fall in price. Aerodynamics is a leading driver in the industry and will be critical as autos become more efficient. An example is Benz just announced a new entry level sedan called the CLA. It sports the lowest drag coefficient of any production car ever.

Even Formula One, the pinnacle of all auto sports, in getting in on the green act. Next year their cars will all be V6 engines with turbos. No more big V8's, 10's or 12's. Diesel technology is also being improved rapidly as seen by Audi and Mazda in the racing world. VW has some excellent diesel engines my favourite being in the Jetta TDI.

Many cars are now giving 40 mpg and I expect they will easily meet the 2025 federal standards of 54 mpg. I also believe that we will see the evolution of more hybrids and EV's. But despite this gear heads will be happy to know that speed and power will still have their place at the automotive table. We can modify an electric motor as we do a V8.

So to my green friends I say welcome to the new auto industry. It is doing its part in helping the environment with lower emissions, higher mpg, more Hybrids and more EV's. They are using recyclable materials, making lighter autos and maximizing technology everywhere. The industry is even pushing for more bio fuels and solar power. While I know the environmentalists would prefer we all ride bikes and horses I think the auto industry is doing a fine job in respecting the earth and helping to preserve her for centuries to come.

I still don't get the plastic and paper bag thing and suggest that the environ Nazis promoting these new laws take a page from the auto industry and find ways to reach our goals while still making it practical and fun. Carrying a recycled green satchel to the store every time I go is not practical or fun - its a pain. Maybe the environ folks would like to bag my groceries for me and then deliver them on the horse to my house? Actually, I think better plastic bags, more recycling incentives, and maybe even an alternative cheap strong material would go a long way to keeping consumer happy.

Maybe we can take some of the hemp used in the growing medical marijuana industry and make it into cheap grocery bags that can be smoked when you get home? Or perhaps we can provide special containers that carry lots of groceries that fit in the trunk of your car? After all who likes making 10 trips to drag in 27 plastic bags from the car? Or more grocery stores that deliver. I have never understood why they all don't offer this service? I for one would love it.

We may not be able to solve the grocery store plastic bag dilemma but here are my top "Green Cars" for 2013. The List is broken down by EV's and Hybrids and then by vehicle type and costs bracket. Till next time keep the rubber on the road.

Electric Vehicles

Expensive EV's

Tesla Model S
Venturi Fetish

Moderate EV's

Ford Focus E
Nissan Leaf
Mitsubishi iMiEV

Hybrids

Expensive Hybrids

La Ferrari
McLaren P1
Porsche 918

Moderate Hybrids

Infiniti M Hybrid
Lexus GS Hybrid

Inexpensive Hybrids

Altima Hybrid
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Ford C Max Hybrid
Toyota Prius
Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Toyota Camry Hybrid

SUV Hybrids

Lexus RX Hybrid
Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Porsche Cayenne Hybrid
VW Tuareg Hybrid
Cadillac Escalade Hybrid

Truck Hybrids

Chevy Silverado Hybrid
GMC Sierra Hybrid






Popular posts from this blog

Porsche Perspective

Before I start I must declare that I am a Ferrari owner, racer and lover. As such Porsche is normally an arch enemy. Most of the faithful from each camp very rarely see eye to eye and often avoid each other like the plague. So for me to write this piece on Porsche is a stretch and proves once and for all, above all I am just a true lover of all cars! Porsche has to be respected for their longevity, their racing prowess and their myopic market focus. Porsche's have been racing and winning for as long as I can remember and while they are not a Ferrari their racing pedigree is remarkable. Initially their claim to fame was the basic 911. This is still their bread and butter car and over the decades has been improved markedly. But I am not going to focus on the 911, the Panamera or Cayenne. Today I want to discuss the smaller, younger cousins - the Cayman and the Boxster. These two "entry level" Porsches are worth writing about. Porsche first made the Boxster in 1997 in an

New Cars - Choosing the Best

Well it appears that my blogs about cars are as popular as my ramblings about the economy and politics. Who knew? Today I want to focus on New Cars but specifically on Audi. For those that are old like me you remember that Audi had some issues in the mid 1980's with "unintended acceleration". While they were producing fine cars with fair value they were no where near the power and strength of either BMW or Benz. However prior to 1986 they were trucking along pretty well and gaining some market share. I was one of their buyers, taking home a brand new 5000S. This was a nice 4 door sedan with Quattro (all wheel drive) and a unique 5 cylinder engine. It was by no means fast but it was solid and spacious. I liked its look and my wife liked the space for two young kids plus the safety features. It was priced below the other two big German luxury car makers and so we had our first Audi. Then the big scare came with the "unintended acceleration" scandal. This sin

Welcome to Ambushing Reality

After nearly 11 months of writing this blog I have been "prodded/convinced" to start a podcast. Below is the Welcome and introduction. I will upload the first few episodes shortly. Please tell your friends and let me know what you think. Welcome to Ambushing Reality