Skip to main content

The Best Cars Under $30,000

I get asked probably three times a week what is the best car under $30,000? I always answer that we are blessed with so many great cars under $30K so there are choices. Actually there are many choices. I decided that it might be helpful to my readers if I provided a list of my top 12 cars Under 30K.

Now keep in mind that I am a practical guy but I am also a racer so performance is always going to rate highly with me. I tried to balance my list looking at many criteria. I considered - price, resale value after 3 years, fuel economy, 0-60 times, horsepower/torque, reliability, safety rating, styling and features. Since most have nearly the exact same warranty I did not make that a high priority. I priced all with the standard options (KBB list) to keep things fair.

For this list I have not categorized the cars but rather just created a list. I did not consider any trucks or truck based SUV's in this list as I see them as a separate group of vehicles. I hope there will be something in here for everybody but as always feel free to share your thoughts with me if I missed your favorite ride. I have been blessed to drive all these cars but have not tested any of them ob the track. And thanks to all those car salesmen who hounded me for weeks after I test drove some of these cars!

The List:

  • The Volkswagen Jetta TDI
  • The Mazda MX5 Miata
  • The Ford Mustang V6
  • The Subaru  BRZ or Scion FRS (same car)
  • The Volkswagen GTI
  • The KIA Optima SX
  • The Fiat 500 Abarth
  • The Hyundai Genesis Coupe R Spec
  • The Camaro LT1 V6
  • The Acura ILX
  • The Subaru WRX
  • The Ford Fusion SE
That is quite a mix of cars. Why I chose each is the interesting part. Below are my reasons for each:

Volkswagen Jetta TDI
The best diesel in the market; 42 mpg without a hybrid; great fit and finish; competitive price; fun to drive; surprisingly powerful and very reliable.

Mazda Miata
This is a classic sports car with amazing handling feel. This is true driving at a very affordable price. Great chassis; great mpg; reliable; handling is on rails; convertible & electric hardtop; classic styling and so much fun to drive.

Ford Mustang V6
One of the best V6 engines on the market; classic Mustang looks; over 280 lb ft of torque; 0-60 under 6 seconds; 31 mpg on the highway; good safety rating; and lots of options.

Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS
This is my favorite new car of 2012. A solid sports coupe with amazing handling, great gas mileage and all for under $28K. They both share a chassis and the great Subaru boxer engine. While they only produce 200 HP don't be fooled they move since they are light. Will be one of the most popular track cars and I expect tons of after market parts soon. What a fun car to drive.

Volkswagen GTI
This has been a favo f mine for many years. This new version is solid, handles well, great fun to drive, has great gas mileage (if you drive reasonably) and has all the typical VW quality. This is a true German hot hatch. Also they hold their value well.

KIA Optima SX
KIA has done a great job in creating some sexy new cars. The Optima is one of the prettiest cars on the road. There are many models to choose from. The SX is a 4 door with a 274 HP engine. While not fast it is reliable; gets 24 mpg; has a strong warranty; safe; great looking and drives well.

Fiat 500 Abarth
This little Italian stud is a fun choice. While not a manly car it is well built; surprisingly safe, gets over 34 mpg; the Abrath model is great looking; the price is $22K and it has some very sexy ads on TV.

Genesis Coupe R Spec
Hyundai has done a great job with the styling on this car. I think it is sexy. The R Spec has 348HP; 8 speed paddle shift transmission; loaded with features; goes 0-60 in under 5 seconds and has all the chops to be a good track car. It is blast to drive and has 10 cubic feet of trunk space.

Camaro LT1 V6
The new Camaro is just great looking. This base model is driven by a strong V6 and while not as fast as the Mustang it is close. The options are many and can drive up the price. It is available in coupe or convertible. This is a fun car with good gas mileage. If you want real American muscle opt for the ZL1 - it will blow your mind.

Acura ILX
Acura just builds a solid car. The new ILX is the entry level but still feels like a luxury car. The 4 cylinder engine is not fast but the gas mileage is great. Lots of standard features make this a classy ride for a great price ($24K)

Subaru WRX
The Subby boxer engine is just a cool piece of machinery. The WRX is capable of 0-60 in 4.5 secs; gets 25 mpg; has all wheel drive; can be had in hatch or sedan and is a blast to drive. I love the sound of this car and it handles really well in bad weather.

Ford Fusion SE
This is a favorite of mine. It has great lines and an angry front end. The Ford Eco Boost is the way to go in this car. Great driving experience, solid fit and finish ; good gas mileage; lots of room with a big trunk. There are a ton of options and even a Hybrid model that beats everything in its class for mileage.  This is a great American sedan.

So this is my list of the best under 30K. I am working on my research for the next list - cars between $30 and $50K. What a tough group that is. Till next time keep the rubber on the road.


Popular posts from this blog

Porsche Perspective

Before I start I must declare that I am a Ferrari owner, racer and lover. As such Porsche is normally an arch enemy. Most of the faithful from each camp very rarely see eye to eye and often avoid each other like the plague. So for me to write this piece on Porsche is a stretch and proves once and for all, above all I am just a true lover of all cars! Porsche has to be respected for their longevity, their racing prowess and their myopic market focus. Porsche's have been racing and winning for as long as I can remember and while they are not a Ferrari their racing pedigree is remarkable. Initially their claim to fame was the basic 911. This is still their bread and butter car and over the decades has been improved markedly. But I am not going to focus on the 911, the Panamera or Cayenne. Today I want to discuss the smaller, younger cousins - the Cayman and the Boxster. These two "entry level" Porsches are worth writing about. Porsche first made the Boxster in 1997 in an

New Cars - Choosing the Best

Well it appears that my blogs about cars are as popular as my ramblings about the economy and politics. Who knew? Today I want to focus on New Cars but specifically on Audi. For those that are old like me you remember that Audi had some issues in the mid 1980's with "unintended acceleration". While they were producing fine cars with fair value they were no where near the power and strength of either BMW or Benz. However prior to 1986 they were trucking along pretty well and gaining some market share. I was one of their buyers, taking home a brand new 5000S. This was a nice 4 door sedan with Quattro (all wheel drive) and a unique 5 cylinder engine. It was by no means fast but it was solid and spacious. I liked its look and my wife liked the space for two young kids plus the safety features. It was priced below the other two big German luxury car makers and so we had our first Audi. Then the big scare came with the "unintended acceleration" scandal. This sin

Welcome to Ambushing Reality

After nearly 11 months of writing this blog I have been "prodded/convinced" to start a podcast. Below is the Welcome and introduction. I will upload the first few episodes shortly. Please tell your friends and let me know what you think. Welcome to Ambushing Reality